The Diocese of Joliet congratulates you on your engagement. Inviting Jesus Christ into your marriage will build a strong, firm foundation, and participating in marriage preparation will allow you to grow together as a couple.
1. Contact your Parish
The requirements for marriage preparation are set by the pastors of each parish. Please contact the parish where you plan to be married at least six months in advance to schedule a meeting and reserve your wedding date.
2. Take a Marriage Preparation Inventory
You will be asked to complete a marriage preparation inventory to facilitate discussion about your goals for married life, values, habits and expectations. This tool will highlight many of the strengths and growth areas in your relationship, and help you discover and discuss these as a couple.
3. Attend a Marriage Preparation Workshop
- A parish-based program or other workshop/retreat approved by your parish
- Catholic Engaged Encounter is a weekend program of input, reflection and dialogue offered at the diocesan level for couples who are preparing for marriage. Led by trained married couples and a priest, engaged couples are led through a process of self-discovery, relationship deepening and spiritual connection.
4. Complete Additional Requirements
Connect with your parish on additional requirements for marriage preparation.